Key Steps for Vibrant Foundational Health
March 2014, Xtend-Life Expert
You have seen how vibrant foundational health means that all of you is in balance and you are properly nourished on a cellular, molecular, biological, mental and emotional level. When you have optimal foundational health, the likelihood of degenerative disease and premature aging is reduced.
There is no one isolated cause and no one isolated solution. Your body is like a finely tuned orchestra with all the instruments playing their unique but complementary tunes. These individual tunes need to be synchronised by the conductor.
The conductor is your Essence: what drives you – your purpose and passions. When you know that, then all the other elements: attitude, diet, supplementation, exercise, environment, work, and relationships can synchronise into one harmonious whole.
For example, if you are stressed, bored and/or fed up with everything, moody, and disappointed with your lot, then you have no motivation to do anything, never mind exercise, change your diet etc. Even if you do decide to make small changes, they rarely last because you often don’t see positive results quickly.
This is why you need to take a ‘wholistic’ view of you and your life and follow these five steps to vibrant foundational health and wellbeing:
- Get clear: Identify what drives you, what makes you passionate and why.
- Get convinced: Know and believe that you can achieve what you want.
- Get motivated: When you know your destination, GO FOR IT with passionate purpose.
- Get nourished: to achieve your goals, you need to be your very best. That means giving your body the nourishment, love and respect it needs to thrive on a cellular, molecular, biological, mental and emotional level.
- Get results and be grateful! The more you are grateful, the more you have to be grateful for!
To recap on No 4 above – Get nourished - please consider the following Protocol which addresses the key causes of degeneration and aging: (excess free radicals, oxidative stress, glycation, abnormal methylation, chronic inflammation, DNA Degradation, hormonal imbalance, toxicity/impaired detoxification.)
‘Wholistic’ Protocol for Vibrant Living
STOP (or at least, reduce):
- Eating refined flour and sugar products, especially high fructose corn syrup. This includes liquid calories – your body doesn't feel full from them so you tend to eat more all day.
- All processed, junk or packaged foods. If it doesn't look like the food your great-great grandmother ate, stay away.
- Eating trans or hydrogenated fats which are highly processed, refined and oxidized oils used in processed foods such as: corn oil, canola oil, soy oil, margarine and shortening.
- Exposure to obvious toxins and pollutants.
- Taking, stimulants, sedatives, and drugs, such as caffeine, nicotine, medications and alcohol.
- Sources of stress: simplify, unclutter, balance and relax.
START and Continue:
- Eating organic produce as much as possible to reduce the likelihood of consuming toxins. Aim for several daily servings of raw or lightly cooked organic colourful fruits and vegetables. Specifically include cruciferous vegetables, broccoli, collards, kale and cabbage. Brussels sprouts, kohlrabi, garlic and onions, can help to increase sulfur in the body, which in turn aids detoxification.
- Balancing your meals (low glycemic load) with a) healthy protein (nuts, seeds, beans, small wild fish, organic chicken), b) healthy carbs (vegetables, fruit, beans, whole grains), c) healthy fats (extra virgin olive/coconut oils, raw nuts, seeds, avocadoes, Omega 3 fish oil) and d) soluble fibre (30-50 grams per day) . By ‘healthy fats’ I mean a mix of mainly monounsaturated, Omega 3 and some saturated fats. Without them you would not live long. Fat forms the fatty lipids that make up the membrane of all your cells and it delivers nutrients to where they’re needed. Vitamins A, D, E, K and CoQ10 can’t even be absorbed without fat.
- Drinking clean water, as often as possible. Coconut water is also a great internal cleanser, anti-oxidant, PH balancer and electrolyte booster.
- Taking a broad range of anti-oxidants, especially the more potent ones, such as grape seed extract and L-Glutathione.
- Taking a range of methylating agents, and in particular SAMe.
- Taking blood sugar balancing nutrients such as chromium, vanadium, magnesium, vitamin E, biotin, the B vitamins, zinc, bioflavonoids, alpha lipoic acid and arginine. These herbs may help too: ginkgo biloba and gymnena sylvestre and bitter melon.
- Moving your bowels regularly: at least once daily. In addition to soluble fibre, consider drinking two large glasses of pure warm water each day immediately upon rising each morning.
- Balancing your fatty acid and oil ratios. Our current modern diet focuses on Omega 6 rather than Omega 3 which leads to the metabolization of chemicals causing chronic inflammation. Our prehistoric ancestors’ omega-6 to omega-3 ratio was an ideal 1:1. Ours ranges between 10:1 and 25:1. Most experts agree that the omega 6:3 ratio should range from 1:1 to 5:1 with 4 grams of O3 daily from foods such as flaxseeds, walnuts and pure fish oils.
- Regular, varied exercise to improve your cells ability to work better, respond to insulin more effectively and burn sugar faster. Use a combination of high intensity training, cardio, aerobic, stretching and yoga.
- Sweating profusely on a regular basis, using a sauna, steam or a detox bath (or just sun bathing) to speed up detoxification.
- Improving sleep quality. Research indicates that sleeping less than six hours may increase insulin resistance, diabetes, angina, coronary heart disease, heart attack or stroke. The same appears to be true when you sleep more than nine hours per night. So 6-8 hours seems to be a good compromise according to your personal needs.
- Learning to relax. Stress reduction also helps improve blood sugar control.
- Taking good quality bioavailable supplementation to help compensate for the inadequacies in our diet and lifestyle.
- Increasing exposure to Vitamin D / the sun. Countless research shows the multi-faceted health benefits of regular Vitamin D/sun exposure.
We hope that this protocol will help guide and motivate you towards a balanced foundation for real health and wellbeing.
During this process, we also hope that you discover what really drives you: Your Essence. When you know that, then all the other elements: attitude, diet, supplementation, exercise, environment, work, and relationships can synchronise into one harmonious whole.
If you achieve this, you may find that conventional medical solutions may be unnecessary.
To clarify why we believe this is the case, we invite you to read our next blog in this series which describes what the respective benefits of conventional treatment and supplementary support are.