A diet rich in fiber (which are high in prebiotics) is beneficial for good bacteria in your gut to flourish. Fruits, vegetables, cereals and other plants have the potential to provide probiotics. Kiwifruit - the star of this salad, is actually a berry, contains 9 percent of your daily fiber requirement and delivers 117 percent of your daily vitamin C needs in one medium kiwi, which is more than that of an orange. Additionally, it is a good source of vitamin K (38 percent in a medium kiwi) as well as lutein and zeaxanthin for eye health, potassium and copper. You might be surprised to learn that kiwi can also protect your DNA from oxidative damage and help you maintain a healthy acid-alkaline balance. In other words, these juicy, sweet and tart green fruits are nutrient powerhouses! This bright and refreshing salad is brimming with good-for-you nutrients to kick off the new year on a healthy note and keep you feeling nourished all year round.
Recipe: Kiwi Avocado Pomegranate Salad with Kiwi Dressing
Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, Dairy-free and Diabetes Friendly
SERVINGS: 4 PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES TOTAL TIME: 15 MINUTES
- 4 kiwis peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4-6 cups spinach
- 2 avocados sliced
- 1 whole pomegranate seeded
- 1-2 kiwi peeled, sliced, and quartered
- 1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all dressing ingredients into a blender. Blend on high until smooth. Place in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
*Dressing recipe will make extra for future salads.
- Place spinach, avocados, pomegranate seeds, kiwi, and pepitas into a large serving bowl or into 4 individual bowls. Top with desired amount of dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
* Optional mix-in: you may choose to add cooked quinoa, wild or brown rice for more sustaining power
Kiwifruit Health and Nutrition. California Kiwifruit Commission. Retrieved from http://www.kiwifruit.org/health-nutrition.
Richardson, D. P., Ansell, J., & Drummond, L. N. (2018). The Nutritional and Health Attributes of Kiwifruit: a Review. European Journal of Nutrition, 57(8), 2659–2676. doi: 10.1007/s00394-018-1627-z
Two Little Cheers for Kiwi (2013). Food and Nutrition Magazine. Retrieved from https://foodandnutrition.org/blogs/stone-soup/two-little-cheers-kiwi/
You may also like...
Supercharge Your Health with Nutritious Kiwifruit
February 2020 by, Claire Luzke
Choosing the right food that provides the nutrients to fuel your digestive system is the key to a...Read More
Recipe: Moroccan Carrot and Lentil Soup
October 2019 by, Claire Luzke
The seasons are changing, and people are more susceptible to colds and flus. The cold air provides the...Read More
Recipe: Honey Orange Salmon with Asian Quinoa Salad
May 2019 by, Xtend-Life Expert
A balanced diet is not only good for your weight but also helps to make menopause more manageable. ...Read More