Are You Cleaning Your Face Properly?
You’ve probably been doing it every day since you were a teenager without really giving it much thought – get cleanser or face wipe, apply to face, rinse off. It’s not rocket science. But cleansing is the cornerstone to any good skincare routine, and not doing it right could leave your skin looking tired, dull and prone to breakouts.
Where does cleansing fit into my skincare routine?
Every good skincare routine should start with cleansing!
For any of the ingredients (found in your skincare products) to properly absorb, your skin needs to be clean and free from any dirt, grime and impurities.
But before we get into the nitty gritting of cleansing, lets quickly recap our skincare routine that's uncomplicated and leaves you with healthy glowing skin.
How do I cleanse my face properly?
- Before reaching for the cleanser, wash your hands to remove any bacteria that could transfer to your face.
- Gently massage the cleanser into your face using circular motions, paying particular attention to any trouble areas such as your T-zone. Aim for at least 30 seconds of washing to let the cleanser do its job. Any less and you might still have residual dirt or impurities on your skin.
- Rinse off using cool or warm water, not hot. While using hot water might feel like you're indulging in a little steam treatment, overly hot water can irritate the skin. Coldwater constricts blood vessels, leaving your skin looking tighter instead of blotchy.
- When you've rinsed away the cleanser, pat dry with a clean face towel. Don't rub your face with the towel as this can damage the skin's surface.
- Now that your face will be sparkly clean, and the dirt and impurities are all removed you can carry on with the rest of your skincare routine.
For cleansing, it might seem like a bit of an effort initially but making these small changes can result in a big improvement to the overall appearance of your skin.
Your multi-tasking facial cleanser
A daily cleanser, scientifically formulated facial cleanser that removes dirt and impurities without stripping skin of its natural moisture.Shop now
How many times should I cleanse a day?
Cleansing twice a day is key. It doesn't matter if you don't wear make-up or you spent the day binge-watching the latest season of Suits and haven't seen sunlight. Your skin needs to be cleaned and prepped before your head hits the pillow.
A common misconception is that you only need to wash your face at night, but cleansing skin when you wake up is actually important. It not only washes away any residual product or grime accumulated overnight, but it also prepares skin for the subsequent application of serums, moisturizers, or sunblock. A quick rinse with water won't cut it. In fact, it could lead to excess collections of acne-causing bacteria.
Should I be cleansing after a workout?
It's also really important to wash your face after an intense workout - while sweat helps facilitate detoxification when it reaches the surface of the skin and isn't t washed away, it can be absorbed back into the skin, potentially causing inflammation, clogged pores, and pimples.
Not sure what cleanser to use?
It’s not just how you cleanse your face that counts, but also the products you choose. Select the right one, and you’re on your way to a hydrated, glowing complexion but choose the wrong one, and you might be left with dry skin, dullness and breakouts.
Get hydrated, glowing skin with our cleansers from Kanapa™ by Xtend-Life, they are enriched with powerful natural plant extracts, remove dirt and impurities while restoring skin's natural pH balance.
You may also like...
Simple Tips To Refresh Your Skincare Regimen in 2021
January 2021 by, Xtend-Life Expert
What does your skincare regimen look like? A simple cleanse in the shower and a splash of the...Read More
Hydrating VS. Moisturizing: Is there really any difference?
November 2020 by, Xtend-Life Expert
For most of us, moisturizing morning and night is a core step in our skincare routine. But even...Read More
Recipe: Coconut and Watermelon, Absolutely!
June 2020 by, Xtend-Life Expert
If you are looking for the perfect way to rehydrate on a hot day or after intense exercise...Read More